Back to top
Cell Line Authentication Service
It is a fact that cross-contamination and misidentification of mammalian cell cultures is widespread. An incredible high number of 15-20% of all cell line based biomedical research is affected by misidentified cell lines. Therefore, establishing a cell line’s identity through STR profiling is essential to conducting valid and re-producible research. Moreover, more and more journals (not only the high-impact ones!) are requesting the authentication of cell lines as prerequisite for acceptance of manuscripts.
Microsynth has over 10 years of experience in genotyping and offers an easy-to-use service for human and mouse cell lines.
Features and Benefits
Microsynth offers you 50% discount on your first cell line authentication!
Reduce Your Risk
- Make your research reliable and let us characterize your cell lines
- Rely on our experience (>10 years) in genotyping and obtain a meaningful analysis report including electropherograms
- Human cells typed with STR systems from Promega
- Ship your cell line(s) at room temperature. Microsynth has developed a protocol which eliminates costly shipment of your cell line(s) on dry ice.
- Use our cost-free pickup service and drop your cell line(s) into one of our numerous collection boxes in Europe. Alternatively send us your cell line(s) with your preferred postal service at room temperature.
- Multiple organisms are available: Currently a standard cell line typing service is offered for human and mouse cell lines. In cooperation with our subsidiary ecogenics GmbH, we can develop high-quality microsatellite markers for virtually any organisms.
- Useful add on services at an extra charge:
- Database comparison of the DNA profile (ATTC, DSMZ)
- Mycoplasma contamination testing of cell culture supernatant
How it works
- Collect 1.0-5.0 Mio cells and wash the cell pellet twice in PBS or another appropriate buffer. Resuspense cell pellet in 0.5 ml of 70-90% ethanol and transfer to 1.5 ml screw cap tube. If you want to send us isolated DNA, please provide ≥50 μl gDNA at a concentration of 50 ng/μl in Tris or low-EDTA buffer (10 mM Tris, 0.1 mM EDTA). For mycoplasma testing please send 1 ml of the culture supernatant (w/o antibiotics, at least used for 3 days).
- Download and fill the order form (see download section on the right). Send a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Print the order form and put it together with the samples in a plastic bag or envelope. Drop the samples in the next Microsynth collection box. To find the closest collection point please login our online shop and click “Options & Preferences” under DNA Sequencing and find details under “Collection Points”.
- Microsynth will confirm the receipt of your samples and ship back the analysis results within one week.
- ATCC SDO Workgroup ASN-0002 (2010). Cell line misidentification: the beginning of the end. Nature Rev. Cancer 10:441–448.
- Barallon, R. et al (2010). Recommendation of short tandem repeat profiling for authenticating human cell lines, stem cells, and tissues. In Vitro Cell.Dev.Biol.— Animal 46:727–732
- Chatterjee, R. (2007). Cases of Mistaken Identity. Science; 315 no. 5814:928-931
- Almeida, J. et al (2013). Mouse cell line authentication. Cytotechnology 66: 133-147.
- Yu, M. et al. (2015). A resource for cell line authentication, annotation and quality control. Nature 520:307-311